Monday, June 25, 2012

Armoire (getting it organized)

Right now I'm juggling between getting a project completed for a friend and trying to get my Armoire organized.  When you have limited space, like me, it's important that you utilize every inch in your house wisely and that includes my Armoire.  I not only utilize it for storing clothes, it serves as a vanity when applying makeup, holds my TV when retiring in the evenings, store perfume, my jewelry, etc. - so you can imagine how junky it gets is.


Here's my Armoire in all it's clutter-ness!







 I went online just to get some ideas on how to organize/unclutter my Armoire.  I got some interesting ideas from Revamped Armoires for Small Space Storage




 
















I figured this would take me a week or two to complete, but here's what I finished so far.  I knew I needed boxes and fabric.  I had some fabric left over from a previous project that I could use for lining the boxes, and I had been holding on to some old curtains that I would use to cover the boxes... 




I found 3 boxes






Spray adhesive was used for sticking fabric to boxes and for the lining.













I used twill to wrap around the top edges (fabric glue was used as adhesive)






I came across veneer edging in the store some time ago.  Never had a chance to use it so I decided to give it a shot.









Here are my three decorative boxes I'll be using to organize my Armoire.







I'm still working on some other stuff; I'll definitely post once completed.



PLAIN BOXES BEFORE





DECORATIVE STORAGE BOXES AFTER






 







 


I'll be sure to pop by and visit everybody and don't forget to LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW! 

23 comments:

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Those are the prettiest cardboard boxes. Again, I am in total awe at how you could take something I would simply recycle and turn it into something so beautiful. Love them. I can't wait to see your armoire in all it's organized glory!

Natalie @ NorthShore Days said...

These are awesome Sherry - you are so innovative xxx Nat

Unknown said...

Wow Sherry - what a fabulous idea!
Great job
Hugs,
Suzan

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

As usual Sherry, your creative mind astounds me, these are lovely. : ) Thanks for the frugal ideas as your armoire is very neat compared to mine. Mine is a corner unit so its harder to get things to fit. What I need is triangular boxes, any ideas where I might find some or make some?
By the way, Frugal Treasures Tuesday is up and running and this is definitely frugal. -_^
~Barbe~

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

I love the way you think! Thrifty and Fabulous :)

JoKnows said...

You seem to have a lot of energy, Sherry! And creativity too, as Barbe said. Good for you for getting all these home projects done. I should do the same!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry! Oh, you should write a book with all of your ideas and creations. Your boxes look wonderful and love the trim you've used too. Now we wanna see your finished and organized armoire!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

cardboard boxes are my favorite! you can do just about anything with it!

Highland Monkey's said...

Gosh, how do you come up with so many frugal ideas! Love em. Will look at my cardboxes with a different eye from now on!

Tina said...

Wonderful boxes!

Brooke said...

These look like you bought them!! They are so pretty! I can't wait to see them in your newly organize armoire!

Rhissanna said...

Wow! Sherry, you've completely changed the way I look at cardboard boxes! Why buy fancy (and ugly) plastic storage tubs when I can re-use boxes and be green and thrifty and creative all at once? Thank you! And yes, the veneer is a stroke of genius.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Nicely done. You are clearly a "just do it" person. Good for you hunting up a solution and coming up with a great idea and following through. An inspiration!
Liz

Gypsy Heart said...

Wow, you create something beautiful out of a possible "throw away". Great job!
I love the look and these will be so nice for extra storage.

Now, come and do some of this great organizing here! :-)

xo
Pat

Brandi said...

Beautiful job, Sherry! You always do such a great job at recovering the boxes.

Simply Tasheena said...

Awesome transformation! I would love for you to link up to my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/06/live-show-me-what-you-got-tuesdays.html

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

momto8 said...

what a fabulous solution!!! when we moved into our house I had an interior decorator help me...and I wanted toys accessible, but hidden...decorated boxes were the perfect idea...of course I had to buy them for a whole lot of $..you are lucky to have a talent for decorating!

Anonymous said...

Rad, you have totally inspired me with your fabric covered boxes! They look beautiful... It must make such a difference already.

Patty said...

That veneer added such a neat touch to your lovely boxes. Can't wait to see your armoire when completed!

Unknown said...

wow fabulous work

http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/barbie-super-nudy-pink-lenses-from.html

Unknown said...

Awesome idea. Love it and gonna try it.

Claudine from ReStory.ca said...

Dear Sherry!!! I can't wait to see the Armoire finished! The stuff you do with boxes... is incredible!!!!
Sherry, I would like to pass you the Sunshine Award, for being always so kind and positive in your comments to me, aside from being a FABULOUS blogger and DIYer!!! Please check my latest post, called Sunshine Award! Hugs,

Comeca Jones said...

Great use of the boxes they look fab!