Thursday, July 28, 2011

Decorate without Cents

I can't count the times I didn't have a $1 to spare for decorating.  During those times I’ve been known to sit around and stare into space searching my brain trying to determine if there’s anything I can use to do something with.  Most days I’m lucky

When I had completed painting my guest bathroom (my son's bathroom when he's home from college) I felt kind of down because I didn’t have the money to buy anything new to put in there but then I started thinking, and this is what I came up with.


  • ·         The picture hanging on the left is a project my son had completed in the  1st or 2nd grade (he’s now in college), I had it framed during that time and it hung in the guest bedroom, which use to be his bedroom, the colors blend in well.
  • ·         The colorful bowl on top of the toilet was hiding in one of the cabinets gathering dust; just right for spare toilet paper.
  • ·         I never used the cup holder over the vanity.  Who does?  Two or three Christmases ago my sister put a candle in my stocking stuffer, I thought the candle was cute but couldn’t figure out what to do with it - the colors blend well.
  • ·         The flowers are something I put together from another flower arrangement, and the cute chair holding them use to contain shower gel and other bath accessories that my son had given to me for Mother’s Day several years back.  I used up the gel, the chair was thrown in the closet; it’s nice to know I could finally make use of it!
  • ·         Looking in the mirror you can see two pictures hanging.  What better place for people to meet my family but in the bathroom while sitting on the throne  :-)
  • ·         If you look carefully, you can see where I painted a green border around the mirror.  Who said because you don't have money you have to have a boring mirror?

Here's another shot of the bathroom
 
  • ·         I put an old computer rack next to the vanity for towels.  I had gotten this from an office I worked at year ago.  I use to keep my printer and paper on top of it.
  • ·         I keep the wash cloths & hand towels in the toy box underneath.
  • ·         I’m sure we all have baskets somewhere… all of my son’s old cologne was placed in the basket (this is cheap cologne he use to get in his stocking stuffer when he was younger, nothing expensive) the best way to get rid of old cologne is to use it for air freshner; the teddy bears just make it cute.
    Sorry, I don’t have a before picture.  But this is a fine example of looking around your house and recycling what you have, it doesn’t cost you a dime.

    Okay, I know most of you are noticing the paint job on the wall.  Right when I was almost completed painting I began experiencing extreme muscle spasms.  I had to stop painting for a while.  It was a month or two before I could get back into painting but I had to move slow and limit my stretching.  Unfortunately, I never finished touching up the bathroom…. Hey, I never claimed to be perfect.  :-)


    Here are two clips I found – I’m sure you will enjoy them, they helped me tremendously.




      LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

    No comments: