Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Frustration & Carousel

Have you ever worked on something so simple but couldn't get it right?

It happened to me while working on my candles.  Along with everything else I had to do, I decided to try to finish up on my candles but there was one particular candle I just couldn't get right.  I started with a simple candle






I glued on the tissue paper, and then I painted it black... easy so far




Then I added copper....one word "yuck"!





So,  I gave it some thought and decided to go simple and use silver...

Hated it!



By this time I'm frustrated and so rather, then pull my hair out, I decided to work on a candle nugget.  I had already plastered it a few days ago so I decided to play around with it.


I decided to use happy colors... and as I painted my nugget it reminded me of a merry-go-round.





I then smudged the colors while they were still wet, used a translucent white over it and then washed over it with a bronze glaze followed by wiping most of it off.







I always give my candles names...so I decided to call this one Carousel.






I then went back to finish off the "evil one".



I painted over the silver with bronze and decided to do a Strie, figured the streaks of silver showing beneath the bronze would look nice.  Dumb me, I forgot to make a glaze and used straight paint.  I don't need to tell you the paint begin drying quicker then I could drag a brush through it...so I'm pissed.
If I'm now ready to give up but I decided to give it one more "go round".   So, I pulled out  a stencil to see if I can do some justice.   I'm sure you can guess the name of this candle...




Yep, Frustration!




If you look closely (with a magnifying glass) you can see some silver streaks trying to peek from beneath.



Frustration and Carousel...



































So what can I say?  Even when you're frustrated and tired and nothing seems to be going right, you can still LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

11 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Sometimes you just have to keep going. Nice gifts Sherry.

Comeca Jones said...

You have done quite a few I hope you get alot more done this weekend!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
You did a beautiful transformation on your candle holder. "Some Times""
I put a tablescape together and take it down two times before"" I get it right you just keep going like Rosemary said.I'm your newest follower on your blog. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape so sweet of you.
I hope you come back ever week to see me.
XXOO Diane

Sonny G said...

Hi Sherry,
the evil one sure turned out great~! Folks love getting candles as gifts and someone is gonna be super thrilled with what your making..

I hope I have as much luck with the santas I am trying to antique. I've had them for years and they've been painted in tradition santa colors:) but this year I thought rather than pay 109.00 that ballard wanted for 3 santas I'd just prime and antique 3 of the large ones I already had.. Right now I'm taking a break as they are in semi yuck stage. I'll follow your lead , go do something else and come back to them later- or tommorrow.
see ya soon and thanks so much for following me so I could come here and do the same..

xoxo
Sonny~155 Dream Lane

Nayana said...

ohh..that turned out great in the end. I guess leaving in between then coming back later to finish that did the trick:)following you:)

Nayana@CherishDreamLive

Terriea Kwong said...

Thanks for stopping by. I follow you too. Your blog is inspiring. Love the chalk paint on coconut stalk, the shoe box remade and all those upcycled stuff.

Lori said...

Fun candles - good thing you kept working on them!

Marilyn said...

This is super creative..I love it.. Very inspirational blog you have here.. So much creativity.. Officially following ya with smiles.. I'm Marilyn and will love for you to stop in sometime.. I have a Pin'Inspirational party happening right now I'd LOVE for you to link this to please..? TY so much.. Wishing you a great start to your weekend.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursday.html

Susanne said...

Such great candels, I'm glad you didnt give up :)
Wish you a good sunday!

Unknown said...

Hey this ended up turning out very nice! Great job!

Noelle said...

I love your determination, usually when I get frustrated with a project, I just put it in the closet and leave it! You kept going until it was wonderful! Have a happy Thanksgiving and keep creating!