Monday, November 7, 2011

My Inspiration




I was at the store and spotted this simple drinking glass



I decided I wanted to transform it into a vase...





I wanted to add some flowers to make it look more "vase-y" (is that a word?).  I remembered reading the blog villabarnes and I was inspired to try plastering some silk flowers.

I rummaged through my bag and came across selected these




Apparently I did something wrong because this is how it turned out








So I decided to give it another attempt.  I had never used Plaster of Paris before so I assumed my mixture was weak - too watery.   I added some more powder to the mixture to stiffen it along with a little more gesso.

Then I grabbed another flower...



Although some of the color seeped through, I thought she was a beauty! (smile)






I didn't let it dry completely before picking up so pieces of plaster crumbled off revealing some of the stem, but I like it thought it was perfectly imperfect!







I did several but I wasn't sure how I wanted to place them in the vase.








After some thought I decided rather than sticking the flowers inside the vase I would lay it on top of the vase and seal it with glue.


THE BACK

The piece sticking up in the back is a strip from a coconut tree...











I call this vase my INSPIRATION.






You can click here to see special wrapping.

I hope you're inspired to LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

15 comments:

Donna Huisinga said...

Thank you, Sherry, for recognizing me with The Versatile Blogger Award last week. It was a wonderful surprise to come home to! I have just passed it on to 15 other bloggers.

Brooke said...

Wow, what an amazing transformation for that cup! I've never seen silk flowers plastered before; that's really neat!
www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

Maureen Wyatt said...

I think it is a great gift to be able to turn life's challenges into something positive. Good for you! Welcome to It's All Connected. I'm so delighted to have you with me!

Cottage and Broome said...

Sherry, thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower. I loved reading your profile and other info about you. My husband has also been dieting for about 30 years! He is now down 40 pounds and looks great, his secret, lifestyle change. He hopes this is the last time he has to lose 40 pounds! I'm your newest follower, Laura Cottage and Broome

Robin said...

You are brave to tackle plaster of paris! Looks like your second try worked. Thanks for visiting and I will tell you a secret about that mirror. I actually work at the store and several times a year we get 40% off but even full price it was $29.99. Still a great deal!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Sing of Singature Style said...

Very nice and creative.

The Paupers Castle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your bio is great and I love that you just jumped right in. Sometimes it's more fun to "do it yourself" BTW....I love your vase! Thanks for visiting. Hope you'll stop back soon. New follower

Tina said...

Looks great!

Have a great week.
Smiles

Unknown said...

Sherry!!! thanks for stopping by and following back! I'm happy to follow! Your blog is great! Congrats on your award!!! how awesome! Stay in touch!!!! thanks again!

Natasha in Oz said...

That is very clever! You did a great job and your persistence paid off!

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my Christmas blog. It's lovely to meet you and I'm now following you.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Renee said...

great job! I don't see you following...are you following by email by any chance?

Georgie Horn said...

Thanks for following, cool vase!

Anonymous said...

oh my .. thats lovely!! Such a lovely inspiration.. I'm following you now.. and am hoping you'll pop by at Colours Dekor..

Kim~madeinaday said...

Happy to follow you back Sherry!! Great Site you heave here! Good luck to you!
Kim@ Made in a Day

http://madeinaday.com

Unknown said...

WOW! This looks so awesome! It rustic and chic at the same time! Thanks so much for linking up today!!