Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Kitchen Clock

One of the project I've been working on at home is trying to get my kitchen counter arrangements coordinated.  They're mostly minor projects, but I'm beginning to realize with a full time job my time is extremely limited, and with the time change I can barely keep my eyes open when I get home.

Here's a clock I had on my counter.  It was given to me by a friend several years ago.  It was originally in my Study, but when we started experiencing a number of power shortages I became irritable having to reset my microwave clock 2-3 times weekly so I moved it from my Study into the kitchen.





While I know it isn't a kitchen clock, it's battery operated and I no longer have to worry about setting the time, but it's out of touch with my kitchen decor.

So after some thought I decided to paint it. 

I used chalk paint  (homemade) for the base coat.






Then I went over it with a gray blue paint...




While this was okay, the white was a bit too "clean" for me and the gray blue needed to be played down, so I decided to dirty it up with ocher.







Here's a close up









My kitchen clock all dirty-up!






Sometimes it's okay to dirty things up when you LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! wow!! thats a lovely makeover! :-)

Brandi said...

what a difference! Looks so much better!

Adrianne Surian said...

Returning the follow from Happy Hour Projects - I love your blog! Come on back in a couple of hours, the Freestyle Friday link party opens up at 5:00 EST and I LOVE seeing projects like this!!

Adrianne
www.happyhourprojects.com

Doreen said...

Beautiful clock transformation! I love changing the look with a little paint and a lot of creativity! Thanks for joining me at Altered Artworks; and now following you, too!

Unknown said...

Nice makeover!

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

You are one crafty gal!! Love it! I am your newest follower. Love you to drop back by my blog and sign up if you like.

Lorie said...

Great job! Thanks for stopping by Reading Confetti! Happily following you back!

NanaDiana said...

Oh-I don't know you and I already love you! You did a great job on that clock. NOW-get yourself over to Debbie Doo's blog (let me know if you can't find it) and get yourself known! She does a feature on newbies and you are going to be great for it! And...WHAT do we call you? Decor? Cents? C'monnn...need a name...first name...or sumthin'!

I am your newest follower. I love Nassau and when I lived in FL I was over there quite a bit. They used to run those flights for $99. round trip all the time. I love your home land! xo Diana

Debbiedoos said...

Looks so cute. Clever idea!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Great makeover! I wouldn't be game to do something like that.

Sheryl Hastings said...

Amazing what you can do with a little paint. It looks great!

DIYbyDesign said...

I love the makeover on your clock. Thanks so much for stopping by. I am following you right back.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Dirt is our friend. lol You gave this clock so much personality. Nice.

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Sherry,

I LOVE what you've done to this clock!!! I wish I had more time to work on fun projects like this one. Instead, I am working on making our fixer upper more functional! :)

I just want to drop in also to thank you for your sweet comment on my post - it is greatly appreciated. I hope you had a lovely weekend. Take care and enjoy your new week!

Hugs,
Jessie

Tina said...

Your clock turned out great! I really like the way you dirtied it up, it added that something special.

simplychic said...

it's amazing what a little paint can accomplish. doesn't look like the same piece at all!

Emreen said...

Wow ! What a fabulous make over... Lovely !!

Bonnie ~ a wee Meenit said...

wow, this is great! I have a bunch of crystal stuff that looks pretty dated in my storage, I am gonna have to go get it our and work on it!

Debbiedoos said...

You really transformed that clock into a modern beauty! Thanks for sharing.