Monday, April 23, 2012

Mirror, Box & Coconut Branch

Sometimes, for me, my biggest thrill is when I can take a small 'something' and turn it into something workable and that's what I did here.

I had this old mirror that had seen it's best days...but I decided I wanted to move it into a small corner... the space where my dining room ends and my living room begins.










As you can tell, the mirror didn't look to hot sitting directly on the floor so I decided to try placing it on top of a box, a shoe box. 









 Liking what I saw, I remembered I had some narrow strips of molding from a previous project, which is what I used to frame the mirror.









After the framing was done, I took out the remaining homemade chalk paint I had leftover and did my painting.







I wasn't too sure how I wanted the shoe box to turn out but since it was going in that corner space, I figured it should be something kinda nice attractive, so I added raised stenciling.  On my second coat of paint I tinted it with an Early American Blue and then dry brushed with brown walnut (think that's the name it was a small amount I had left in a jar).

I was happy with my box















and equally happy with how my framed mirror turned out








Earlier that week I had went for a walk on the beach and came across a coconut branch.  I brought it home, cleaned it up - my first thought was to paint it, but then I decided nah...








I decided to stand it against my mirror instead







No, it's not an expensive stand...








And, it's not a vintage box...







Just a cheap mirror on top of a shoe box, but after all, isn't that what Decorating with Cents is all about?





A shoe box, old mirror and coconut branch...LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

34 comments:

Kristin said...

Love how the box turned out! And the mirror too! Glad you left the coconut branch natural.

Brandi said...

Clever, clever! You are so clever!! Love what you did with the box, Sherry! Your mirror looks great as well.

Brooke said...

I swear, you are brilliant! You can make gorgeous decor out of anything!!
www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

Comeca Jones said...

Now that is a creative Makeover!

Beth said...

Oooh la la love it! The whole thing turned out incredible! Very nicely done.

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

you NEVER cease to AMAZE me my friend! i mean your imagination is unreal!!!!! applause and appaws for you!!!! : ) you rock!

NanaDiana said...

Sherry- I love how this turned out! How ingenious and it looks great- xo Diana

Nelly@DGInnovations said...

NICE JOB!! Love it ALL!
:))

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

WOW. I seriously would have never guessed that the box started a shoe box {delicious shoes, huh?}...:). Your project is an unbelievable transformation!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING Sherry!! This looks so good! How did you do the "raised" stencil? Do tell. :-)

Chynadoll said...

I LOVE love this! So glad you left the branch natural as well! Well done! Applause to ya:)

fiona anderson said...

That box is amazing Sherry, I love it.
I'd like to know how you do this too - have you done a tutorial on it ?

Anonymous said...

You're amazing! This looks wonderful. I can't believe how you spiffed up that old shoebox! You're something!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Love how that shoebox turned out! The shoebox, mirror, and coconut branch look wonderful together.

Roeshel said...

So pretty and so clever! I want details on the stencil too! ;)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, I totally love the shoe box! The mirror is my fav! Thanks for your visit, so lovely and kind. I didn't make the stained glass sky light myself, an artist made it for me, I just had it copy-catted, lol.. Hugs my friend.
FABBY

Rhissanna said...

Wow! I wondered how this was going to turn out. It's amazing! Your paint finishes are just inspiring.

Michelle said...

there's no way that's the same box! wow!

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Now how cute is THAT!!! My goodness Sherry, you certainly have a talent with the paint. It's wonderful. Jane

Sandy said...

Sherry the energy and items you put into your mirror display is just brilliant! I find such branches on the beach and would never have thought to do this... love it!
Thanks for your visit to my blog today and your kind comments.. I need to go read your bio!
I'm following you for ideas!!
Sandy

Gail said...

Now that shoe box looks amazing! I love how that turned out. You did a great.

Unknown said...

wow wow wow...just amazing

Tammy said...

This is Amazing! What a creative idea!!! Thanks for sharing. UI am your newest follower. Hope you can visit me sometime too.

Vanessa said...

Hi, Sherry

The mirror turned out great. I love the box as well.

Vanesa

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

I was wondering what you were going to do with that combination of ingredients. This is so cute and I love that shoe box! Thanks for sharing at Frugal Treasures Tuesday. Have a good weekend. : )

Unknown said...

wonderful

http://glamorousgirlblog.blogspot.com/

Claudine from ReStory.ca said...

WOW, Sherry!!!! AMAZING what you did!!! I read your profile, with me it happened the same thing, I got laid off and wanted to decorate without breaking the bank! But your are far beyond me!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!!Now following you!

thistlewoodfarm said...

What a clever idea! I love the shoe box idea. It didn't even look like a shoe box when you were through!

Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

I love it!

blessings,
karianne

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous! i love how your shoe box turned out.
thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment, got me to visit you. I like what I see and am following you now on gfc. would be honored if you would like to follow back, but no hard feelings if not.
love
jutta

Unknown said...

Me again. Just discovered that you are following me already :-)
welcome to creative chaos!
love
jutta

Anonymous said...

looks perfect! good for you...you are creative!!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! love your idea!

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

Sherry, hope you had a nice weekend. Guess what, you've been featured!

ღ Jans Life According To Milo ღ said...

Wow, that is crazy clever. : ).. I have an old mirror like that which has suddenly seen it's better days. I loaned it out to work for a dress code project and someone must have taken offense to our policy. They kicked it and broke the bottom (while it was hanging on the wall above shin level). I might have someone cut the bottom off, and give this a shot! : )..