Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Planter turned Serving Bowl

Sometime ago I had posted where I played around with painting one of my planters.

















I wasn't crazy about it but my sister, in Georgia, loved it and said how she would love to have it for her table.  So, when I heard her son was traveling over here for a visit, I decided to fix it up and send it to her.

I lined it with a medium grade plastic - just in case she wanted to throw some fried chicken in there...








Then I took strips of palm leaves and wrapped it at the top of the brim to give it some definition







Remember, all that fabric I bought when covering my dining chairs?  Well I cut a piece of it, fringed it, so it could be used as a napkin just in case she wanted to use it for biscuits or cornbread, unlike me, my sister enjoys cooking.



















To make it easy for him to carry, plus to give it a unique but rustic feel,  I took some strips from a palm and did some twisting and tying....


































BEFORE (my planter)






AFTER (my sister's serving bowl)






Yeah, I think I can definitely see this planter serving bowl sitting in the kitchen on the island or perhaps on the dinner table filled with something delicious...LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, did you ever transform that! Hard to believe it is the same "planter"!

NanaDiana said...

HOLY COW! What a wonderful transformation. If your sister gets tired of that dumb old bowl..let me know and I will take it off her hands for her so she doesn't have to be bothered with that darned old thing!;>)

IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!! xo Diana

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Beautiful transformation Sherry!

Nelly@DGInnovations said...

Im thinking...That is Fabulous!
Awesome Technique!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Great transformation. You never cease to amaze and impress me :)

amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

Karen said...

That would be perfect for serving chicken, rolls, etc...at your sister's next outdoor barbeque. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

That's a great transformation! Love it and I know you'll poke pretty stuff in it.
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Sherry, You are amazingly talented! These pots are simply gorgeous. :-)

Unknown said...

wow good work
you are genius
thanks for sharing
love your posts

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Oh my gosh! Your planter bowl is just gorgeous, and I love how you added all those elements to it like the palm fronds tied around it. What a wonderful gift you sent your sister.

Roisin said...

What did you add to give it that textured look? I love it. Cashel1916@yahoo.com

Rhissanna said...

Wow, Sherry! I think this is your best yet!

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

WOW!!!! what a fabulous transformation!!!! You really come up with the most unique and amazing creations!!! I applaud you my friend! You Rock!!! : )

Kathy said...

Cute idea! This would make a great hostess gift!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Sherry!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Beth said...

What a fantastic texture and color scheme you've created! I think this is really awesome looking, but I would still use it as a planter. ;) I'm sure your sister is going to be THRILLED when she gets this!

thistlewoodfarm said...

What a difference! I love the look of the new bowl. Your sister is so lucky!

blessings,
karianne

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love the weathered bowl better, it looks Italian, Mediterranian, like those outside a villa. Thank you for your lovely comments Sherry. Hugs,
FABBY

Barbe @ Beez Rental Designs said...

Awesome job, Sherry! I would love to be a recorder on the wall of the creative side of your brain! lol The things you can imagine is mind blowing. Thanks so much for sharing and linking to Frugal Treasures Tuesday! : )

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Another beautiful transformation Sherry! Your sister is one lucky lady. :)

fiona anderson said...

Great transformation, and I love how you finished it off with the palm leaves, it makes such a great present.

Brooke said...

So pretty! I would never have thought to turn a planter into a serving bowl! You're so creative Sherry!
www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

Sandy Ang said...

so creative ! well done

At The Picket Fence said...

That is so clever and it looks beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday! :-)
Vanessa

Eclectically Vintage said...

Sherry,
As usual - you are one crafty diva! Your sis will be grinning from ear to ear!
Kelly

Gaines said...

would love to get some tips on how you created that rusty plaster look on the outside of the bowl. very cool.

Unknown said...

Hi Sherry - this is just amazing - wow you are SO clever. I am so happy you dropped by and we are now in touch. Have a lovely day Francesca