Monday, October 10, 2011

Candle Nuggets (Gold, Black & Blue)

This weekend was a busy weekend for me.  I had found some small candles during the earlier part of the week, so I decided to begin playing around with them.

BEFORE


They are small and since I'm going to be giving these away as gifts I wanted to really make them unique. 

After taping the top part of the jar, using joint compound,  I began plastering.




I gave them a day to dry and then worked with painting them.  The first one I painted was gold, well of course this was too bright, so I pulled out all of my metallic paints and tried to get my creativity flowing.... :-)
 



I wanted to tone it down with some silver paint, but I didn't have silver so I decided to try mixing the color myself.  I combined 1 part  black with 10 parts white and came close to the silver I was looking for and began toning it down - you can use a brush or cloth for this (I used both).




I had also started adding cranberry to it...  I still wasn't sure of what I was looking for so I kept playing with colors - black, blue & bronze.



Sorry, around this time my camera ran out of memory, and I couldn't find my memory card, I had to keep running to my computer to upload photos before I could shoot more.  Well, after a while I got tired of running back & forth to my computer, so unfortunately I missed out on a lot of pictures.

I knew I wanted more color and definition so I started smearing on blue, and dry brushed some black on it.  It was still a little to bright so I added an extender to my bronze (the extender gives your paint some play time) painted over the whole thing quickly and then begin wiping it off.  It took me a while to get the desired result, I had to add some more silver, cranberry & blue, but this is the final result.












I call it "Gold Nugget"  

I painted the plastic lid black & dry brushed gold over it and then wiped it down to soften the color; this looks much better than the clear plastic lid.

The second candle I painted silver (using the silver I had made earlier)





I then smeared on blue & cranberry...






This is 'Blue Dust'.



The lid was painted blue and I dry brushed it with cranberry, and then wiped it down to soften it.

I painted the last one silver also,





I then painted it black and added some white-gold glitter in the crevices, to give it a twinkle.







"Black Beauty!"


Here's another glimpse of my Candle Nuggets...



Black Beauty, Blue Dust, Gold Nugget





Black Beauty, Blue Dust, Gold Nugget



They're small, but I'm sure they will have a delightful impact on whoever receives them.  Hopefully you're now inspired to LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

I'm linking this post to Wow us Wednesdays

11 comments:

Becca Bertotti said...

Wow, these are so pretty and creative. Truly a unique gift idea that everyone will love! And, thank you so much for the sweet note about my Fall dining room! *Becca* (new follower)

Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy to have you as a new follower and I am following you now too!

These candles are so unique! How cool would they be to stamp an image on the front or a monogram? Love the coloring technique - awesome!

Thrifty Crafty Girl said...

Those look like they took a lot of time! Nice job!

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

Love your candle nuggets - very creative. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now following you back!
~ Wendi ~

Peggy said...

Very nice - I like the goldish one...

Debbiedoos said...

Kudos to you! I love your little bio, as it is so true. I get more thrills out of budget decorating than going into a store and paying high prices for designer stuff. I want to follow you back but for some reason your followers is not up on the screen, I tried refreshing twice.

Comeca Jones said...

You have been busy you will be more than ready by the holidays!

Brooke said...

These are so pretty! What nice gifts. I love the colors you came up with.
www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the nugget look. You have some great gifts in the making.

A room with a view said...

Beautifully done! Perseverance truly pays off! Thx for stopping by and for your kind comment.

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful.. stunning!! and super impressive!!