Thursday, October 13, 2011

Decorative Shoe Box

One of the workers in our office usually switch shoes once she gets to the office.  Actually, I do the same thing too it's just that I have my own office so I can kick my high heels under the desk and no one will notice them.  Unfortunately, for this particular worker, when she kicks off her shoes at her workstation, when you enter her work area her shoes are right there for you to notice which isn't always 'office like'.

So, one day while I was practicing some painting techniques, rather than practicing on polystyrene boards I decided to practice on a shoe box and if it turned out nice give it to her to 'home' her shoes.  My first intent was to just paint the box and perhaps add a stencil or two, but after awhile I decided to spice it up...

SHOE BOX

 

 
After priming and applying a base coat (white) I did a glaze - red, light green & blue and randomly slapped the colors on the box.



Glaze softened (sorry, the light green looks like white on photo)




Raised stencils applied




Crackled and top coat applied and sealed with varnish









A shoe box you can keep at the office, throw your shoes in, and show off at the same time.  LET YOUR CREATIVITY FLOW!

17 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Wow! THAT's a shoebox? Prettiest (and fanciest) one I've ever seen!

goodhealthdiva said...

Ummm...pretty cool idea!!!!

Mandy said...

Sherry, thanks so much for being a follower and visiting Project Queen. Wow! You are one busy woman. I'm amazed at all of the projects that you take on. You are definitely an inspiration to me! YOU GO GIRL! Can't wait to see what the next one will be =).

Comeca Jones said...

You think of the best ways to use what you have !

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

That is super cool! You could do a bunch of these and use them all over the house for different things. You're so clever.

Unknown said...

Cool! I usually throw my shoe boxes away but not any more! I love how you transformed this one! Thank you for stopping by my blog- following you back!

A room with a view said...

Nicely done! You have totally transformed the original.

Janny said...

Wow! I can't believe you turned a shoe box into that beautiful work of art! By the way, thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment!

Unknown said...

wow! It looks like an old vintage wood box. amazing!

Tina said...

Now that is cool. No one would ever know it was a shoe box. Great job, very creative.

Visiting from Debbiedoos

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Great transformation and a nice little touch for her office.

Kammy's Korner said...

umm WOW! I knew I was saving those shoe boxes for a reason! Your rock, girl! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to share this (and any other projects you might have) over at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday on the Korner! Thanks!!! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-2-treasure-tuesdays-3.html

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Seriously?! That's a shoebox?!!! You are one creative and talented girl!! I would love for you to link up Thursday (actually it starts tonight) to It’s a Party!
www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

What a great idea. I am all about repurposing. Come by my blog and look what I did with a cereal box!
Sarah
www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

Anonymous said...

wow!!! wow!! wow!! a shoe box!! really!! wow!!

FineArtPainting said...

thank you for your linky party contribution and for posting the button. somehow the link is not working but I'm sure that is an easy fix when you have a moment. Thank you in advance.

re. the box: i am amazed by it. it looks NOTHING LIKE an old shoe box. i have tons of boxes laying around and you are sharing several techniques we could use. Thank you so much.

Rose
http://www.finecraftguild.com/party

Unknown said...

Hi! I just discovered your blog and I am fascinated by your ideas about recycling! I'm a big fan of recycling, too:).
All the best ,
Ada.